Wednesday, September 7, 2016

The Story of Tonight

   In the song The Story of Tonight, the male characters are talking about changing the world through the Revolutionary war and making history. The men are talking about fighting for their freedom. When listening to this song I wondered if one of Hamilton's main reasons for wanting to fight for freedom, was because he didn't have any growing up as an orphan? I think that growing up as an orphan, Hamilton didn't get to experience all that he wanted like other kids his age did. He went to college on someone else dime, and was expected to become a very intelligent person, and with those high expectations I feel he didn't get to live the life he wanted to.
   I also wonder if by him saying he wants to make history, if it means making his mark on the world? I feel like since he was born out of wedlock and then orphaned that he wants his name to be remembered for doing something amazing, but the some of the marks he left, weren't the kind he thought he would leave behind. He did help in winning the war and helped with the US Constitution, but he was also known as an adulterer and as a pest to many. All in all, I feel like he accomplished what he intended. Hamilton did help with freedom for the citizens of the United States, and he also made history and left his mark on the world. We all know his name and know more about his accomplishments than his misfortunes.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your point of when Hamilton says that he wants to make history, he really just wants to make his mark on the world. However, I that in addition to that he wants to make it a prominent mark and feel like he has done something to help the world.

    ReplyDelete