In this song, Hamilton talks
about wanting to be a right hand man. I wonder if wanting to make a name for
himself made him seem stuck up? He didn't want to work under anyone, he wanted
to be someone’s equal or better than them. He didn't settle for a job, so when
George Washington asked him to be his right hand man, Hamilton was more than
happy to step up and call some shots. I also think that the feud between Burr
and Hamilton was fueled by this in some aspects. Burr wanted to be Washington's
right hand man, but Hamilton was selected over him, and made great strides and
progress. I think that this was just one of the many things that Lin Manuel
Miranda made prominent on the list of things that Burr had when he reached his
tipping point and killed Hamilton.
I wonder if Hamilton realized that he was getting on
people’s bad sides and making the wrong kind of mark on the world? He wouldn't
take a job that was offered to him unless it met his standards. I think that by
Hamilton wanting to make his mark on the world, he may have come across as
ungrateful, but I also think that he redeemed himself by helping win the
revolutionary war at Washington's side. I believe that Washington was part of
the reason for Hamilton's great success after the revolutionary war. He gave
him the encouragement he needed to continue to make strides after the war was
won.
I think this song can be looked at in a number of ways; the most obvious is the development of Washington and Hamilton's relationship, but as you mentioned, it also does a great job of furthering the Hamilton-Burr rivalry. This is one of the first points of contention between the two men in the show, and serves to further what becomes a true rivalry as the show progresses.
ReplyDelete