This song is about the love triangle between Hamilton, Eliza and Angelica. Eliza and Angelica are two of the Schuyler sisters and are both at a ball and see Hamilton for the first time. Eliza calls dibs and Angelica goes to Hamilton and introduces him to her sister. I wonder how hard it was for Angelica to let Eliza and Hamilton date? I understand that it's her sister and she loves her, but I think I would have a hard time letting my sibling date and eventually marry the man that I liked too. I personally don't think Angelica fought very hard. I think that if she wanted Hamilton she could've easily taken him, which shows how mature and in control she really is. I think this shows through the rest of the musical as other events progress.
As the years go on though, Hamilton eventually messes up and has an affair, and Eliza eventually takes him back, and through it all Angelica has stuck by Eliza's side backing her the whole way. The real question here, is how did Eliza not notice all of the sexual tension that was between her sister and her husband? I'm not sure if she's just blindly in love with Hamilton and doesn't see anything beyond perfection when it comes to him, or if she knew it was there but knew her sister wouldn't act up on it. Throughout the musical you see Angelica support her sister and you also see her supporting Hamilton, and even though Angelica has always liked him, she has always been able to put her sister first and push her own happiness to the side so that her sister would be happy.
I have a feeling she knows there is definitely something going on, because whenever she really wants a rise out Alexander she brings up Angelica. In Burn she says "Do you know what Angelica said.."Just before she says something extremely telling about Alexander. So I think even if she doesn't know the extent of their relationship she knows that what Angelica thinks of him matters to Hamilton.
ReplyDeleteIn addition, I would assume Angelica is better about hiding her feelings from her sister. Angelica says twice "I know my sister like I know my own mind. You will never find anyone as trusting or as kind" so she knows Eliza beyond well enough to hide something like this from Eliza. There's no doubt that if Eliza ever found out Angelica loved Alexander she would have given the same sacrifice that Angelica did.
I took the song "Helpless" as Eliza's undying love for Hamilton, more than the song about the love triangle. I think "Satisfied" should be labeled as the one about the love triangle, but i understand the points you are making. It was probably unbearable for Angelica to watch as her sister gets to marry the only man she ever truly loved. I think it was incredibly brave of Angelica to let her sister marry Hamilton, even though she knew she would never be fully happy if she did. After hearing "Say No to This" and "The Reynolds Pamphlet", it makes it harder to listen to "Helpless" without being a little bit sad. But it's also a good way of actually proving how in love Eliza was with Hamilton considering she was still in love with him after he dies and continued to tell his story for the rest of her life.
ReplyDeleteI had a slightly different interpretation of this song, but I really like what you said. It had to be hard for Angelica, as she goes on to tell in "Satisfied." But I never thought about why Eliza didn't say anything about Angelica and Alexander. She had to have noticed that they were constantly writing each other, even when she was married and living overseas. She obviously wasn’t oblivious, but Miranda fails to address this point. I feel like that’s a huge hole in Elizabeth’s character that should have been addressed.
ReplyDeleteI had a slightly different interpretation of this song, but I really like what you said. It had to be hard for Angelica, as she goes on to tell in "Satisfied." But I never thought about why Eliza didn't say anything about Angelica and Alexander. She had to have noticed that they were constantly writing each other, even when she was married and living overseas. She obviously wasn’t oblivious, but Miranda fails to address this point. I feel like that’s a huge hole in Elizabeth’s character that should have been addressed.
ReplyDeleteThis is one of my favorite songs! As Anna said, I had a slightly different interpretation then what you had but what you said was very good! I think it was probably hard for Angelica to see them together all the time. But I don't think the sexual tension between Hamilton and Angelica was super obvious but maybe Eliza didn't want to believe it or didn't think anything. Her husband did cheat on her and she took him back so their relationship was probably already shaky, so maybe she didn't want to see or just didn't see it at all.
ReplyDeleteI think this is a really good interpretation. The bond between sisters is eternal and I think this song did a really good job of showcasing that. I feel like having a sister and being one, you feel responsible for keeping your sister safe. You want to protect them and I think that is what Angelica was doing. She wanted to preserve Eliza's happiness, even if it meant taking hers away. Eliza probably knew this and appreciated the support. I think there is an understanding that each sister has to keep the other safe and happy and Eliza appreciated Angelica's support. I think she knew and loved her for it.
ReplyDeleteI agree that it must have been extremely difficult for Angelica to give up Hamilton for her sister. Moreover, I interpreted this song as more of a story about how things progressed between Hamilton and Eliza. With that being said, I also think that Miranda was trying to hint at something more between Hamilton and Angelica.
ReplyDeleteI love this song! I also interpreted a little different. My take on it was that it was mainly about Eliza and Hamilton's love story and how it progresses (rather quickly it seems). I do believe it must have been extremely hard for Angelica to give up Hamilton to Eliza, especially when it seems that, if Angelica wanted, she could have Hamilton in a heart beat. But, it's very heartwarming the way she would sacrifice her own happiness for that of her sisters.
ReplyDeleteIt's made clear in this song that Eliza and Hamilton love each other but there is also an underlying tone that Angelica has some feelings towards him and it's noted throughout the song. for example, when Eliza is getting letters from Hamilton, Angelica says "I'm just sayin', if you really loved me, you would share him." This to me, is the first hint that Angelica is giving Eliza when she is saying that I really like Hamilton to. Also, Hamilton says in the song "Angelica tried to take a bite of me."
ReplyDelete