Tuesday, November 1, 2016

That Would Be Enough

   This song is about Eliza being pregnant with a boy, and how she wanted Hamilton home. She said that she wrote the General, but that she knew that Hamilton would want to continue to fight till the war was over. Hamilton tells her that if she had said something that he would've come home, but she knew that he wanted to be a part of winning the war. 
   I think that the song title "That Would Be Enough," means that she wants Hamilton to be happy and home and safe with the war won, so that they can raise their children together. She tells him that she loves him and that as long as he is safe then she is happy. 
   He questions her love for him because he doesn't have money. I wonder if this insecurity stems from his upbringing and where he came from? I know that his upbringing had an effect on what he wanted to do in life, but I don't know if that is what is making him question here. I think that it has more to do with the way that Eliza was raised, with money, that is effecting the way he thinks she loves him. 

   Eliza then goes on to say that she's happy, but she wishes that he would let her into his heart. I didn't realize that Eliza had an insecurity with how much she thought Hamilton loved her. I wonder if her insecurity stems from her having money growing up and him not? Does she think that he only married her for her money? I think all she wants is to live a happy life with her children and husband, and worries about Hamilton while he is trying to make a name for himself by fighting in the war. 

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about Hamilton's insecurity when it comes to his love to Eliza because growing up, he didn't have anyone and for anyone that was in his life left shortly after but now he has someone and I think that he fears that as soon as Eliza realizes that he has nothing, she to will leave him just like everyone else. And I agree with you that Eliza worries that Hamilton might just be marrying her because of her money and her status because since Hamilton has nothing, there is no way that he would be able to rise to the top so quickly unless he had an advantage and that advantage would be his wife, Eliza because she has money and has a higher status than he does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Hamilton definitely worries about how Eliza sees him as a provider because she has grown up rich and Hamilton grew up poor. I think that because of this he feels an even bigger need to provide for her and become successful. I also think that it is also hard for him to believe that she could be happy with him even if he has no money and doesn’t succeed in life, because of the circumstances in which she grew up.

    ReplyDelete