Thursday, November 10, 2016

Say No To This

   This song is about the affair the Hamilton had with Maria. I personally am someone who thinks that cheating is and awful thing, and that there's no coming back from being a cheater. Once a cheater always a cheater, so this is where I lost respect for Hamilton. 
He says, "I hadn't slept in a week, I was weak, I was awake, never seen a bastard orphan more in need of a break, longing for Angelica, missing my wife, that's when Miss Maria Reynolds walked into my life." 
   First of all, why is he longing for Angelica when he's a married man. That's the first thing in this song that irks me. The second and biggest part though is when he says that's when Maria Reynolds showed up. I think that cheaters are weak minded people, but I also can't believe that he is blaming his background for it. 
   How does he in his right mind think that it's ok to cheat on his wife, and then blame the way he grew up for it? Everyone is in charge of their own destiny, and Maria Reynolds is the quick sand that pulled him in. He saw her multiple times, it wasn't just a once and done. He obviously wasn't missing his wife that much, otherwise he would've thought about her a known that cheating was not the right thing to do. 
   I think that he deserved to be blackmailed by Mr. Reynolds. No man should ever cheat on the woman they are with, and no woman should cheat on the man they are with. I understand that it's a two-way street, and that they were both wrong, but Hamilton has a wife and kids, and on top of that he was also longing for another woman on top of Eliza and Maria. 

   All respect was lost for Hamilton when he made this awful decision and cheated on his wife and his family. 

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree you on this point because people who cheat on others don't deserve the people that they are with. every woman deserves to be treated like a queen. I like the line that you used with "Maria Reynolds is the quick sand that pulled him in." I think that's a great line and very true because once he stepped foot into the quick sand, there was no going back and he was going to sink no matter how much he struggled, no matter how much he tried to hide his affair, the truth always gets out, one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the most interesting songs in the show in my opinion. Hamilton up to this point has been a decent guy- not perfect, but definitely decent. Seeing his otherwise fairly good character start to crack really adds to some of the complexities of the story, especially as far as his reaction goes. Hamilton never tries to justify his cheating; instead, he fully confesses when he may be in financial trouble (see "The Reynolds Pamphlet"). What a guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you on the cheating thing, I think that once a person cheats on their significant other they should never ever get a second chance. I also totally lost respect for hamilton because of the actions that he did. I don't understand why he was always longing for a women other than his wife, shouldn't he be longing for his wife. I think also he tries to make it sound better and make him sound like a better person by confessing and saying what he did was wrong. I also can't believe that Eliza actually stayed with him I would never stay with my spouse after they cheated on me .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely share your opinion on cheating, there is never an excuse to cheat on the person that you are with. I also feel that in this case, Hamilton was trying to make it seem like it was okay to cheat because of the circumstances. Additionally, because of whatever the thing between him and Angelica was, it did make it easier for me to believe that he was the type of guy who would do something like this to his wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you provide some really good points in this post. Hamilton made a wrong decision and he paid dearly for it. I think it is interesting to note that after Hamilton dragged his wife's name through the mud, she still tried to keep some dignity to his name. It makes me think what I would do in that situation. I think it's one of those things where you never know what you will acutely do until you are facing it head on. I say that I would never forgive someone for cheating on me, but maybe under different circumstances I would.

    ReplyDelete