This is by far one of my favorite songs. I really enjoy the slower more laid back and peaceful songs, and this one is just that. This song is about Washington's past and what he's gone through as he has fought and how heavily it weighs on his heart.
I think that this song is Washington's way of telling his story, and explaining why he is the way that he is. He says, "I made every mistake and felt the shame rise in me, and even now I lie awake." I think that Washington knows how bad Hamilton wants to help make history, and compensate for his childhood, and doesn't want him to make the same mistakes that he did. He doesn't want Hamilton to make rash decisions that are going to haunt him for the rest of his life.
I wish that we had been able to see Hamilton's response to Washington's revelation. I think that if Miranda had given Hamilton a response to this song, it would've been something more open. I feel like he might tell Washington that he supports his decisions and calls, but doesn't want Washington to hold back for fear of Hamilton making a mistake and regretting it in the future.
We can see from Hamilton's songs that he knows what he's doing, and is a very smart man, but needs slight guidance, and I feel like this song would've been just that. Hamilton really wants Washington to want him, so I think that if he was able to know Washington this way, he would've understood him better.
This is one of my favorite songs of the play too! This song is jam packed with so much insight and information about Washington's life and how his childhood influenced his later life. I think that it is good that we do not see Hamilton’s response to this song simply because it defines the audience’s perception of their relationship and really lets us see that divide.
ReplyDeleteThis is an amazing song! and I never really thought about what Hamilton's response would've been if he had responded to Washington but I think that Miranda should've had Hamilton respond. I definitely think that it would lead to new doors and new ideas and or discussions because Hamilton is a smart man as you said but he is also kind of reckless and sometimes doesn't have a lot of patience and so Hamilton would've told Washington that he doesn't need to worry, that he does understand what's going on and that he is listening to what Washington is saying and will heed his warnings.
ReplyDeleteI think that it would have been very interesting to hear Hamilton’s response to Washington, because I think that it would have shown us Hamilton’s perspective whenever he is talking to Washington. Although we know that Hamilton ultimately does want Washington to need him I think we’d get to see a different dynamic of their relationship if we’d gotten to hear what Hamilton had to say.
ReplyDelete