This song is about the steps that they believe should be taken during a battle. There are multiple singers in this song, which leads us to believe that this is everyone's view on how things should be handled.
1. Demand Satisfaction- This is really funny, because Alexander Hamilton is also singing this song, and he says that he's never satisfied, I wonder if this is alluding to Hamilton wanting to be remembered as someone important during the war?
2. Have Friends- This is also funny, because Hamilton really only has his family( Eliza and Angelica) backing him and Washington, other than that it doesn't really seem like he has many friends.
3. Meet face to face- Later on, we know that Hamilton does a lot of writing, whether its about the affair, or just in general, it doesn't seem like Hamilton really goes out of his way to have face to face conversations.
4. Reach a Peace- I think Hamilton agreed with this he really didn't like confrontation, only if he thought it was required to save face, and make a name for himself.
5. Prepare for Death- I feel like Hamilton would do anything to make a name for himself, even if that meant death, as long as people knew he was involved in something great.
6. Leave a Note- We know that Hamilton did a lot of writing, I think that this was one of the commandments that he liked, He wanted to help aid in making America free, and he'd do anything for that cause.
7. Confess your Sins- This far in the show Hamilton doesn't have a lot of other sins, other than knowing who the Schuyler sisters were and what they were worth, and marrying Eliza to better his status that he was so ashamed of.
8. Last Chance to Negotiate- I think Hamilton did a lot of negotiating, whether is was to get in as Washington's right hand man, or later on about his affair.
9. Look them in the Eye- I think that this also applies to Hamilton's life, even thought he was an unwanted orphan, he never gave up on trying to be someone and make history. Even though he was ashamed of where he came from he never backed down.
10. Fire- I think that Hamilton was a bit of a hot head, he was always pushing peoples buttons, and he knew what he wanted and he wasn't going to stop until he go it.
I think that the Ten Duel Commandments though they were meant to represent how they thought they should fight in a war, I think that you can also apply them to Hamilton's life and personality in a way as well.
This interpretation of the 10 Duel Commands is so fascinating! I agree with you on your descriptions of each 'rule' and how they can have a different meaning reflecting in Hamilton's own life. I also just think that it is really funny that they have rules of etiquette for nearly killing one another, seems a little ironic to me!
ReplyDeleteI think that all of your descriptions for the commandments are exceptionally accurate. I also find it to be extremely wise of Miranda to have each commandment apply to Hamilton’s life, as you said. However, I think that it is a bit strange that they are talking about each of these commandments for killing someone, when they can’t even follow some of them in daily life.
ReplyDelete