Thursday, August 25, 2016

Aaron Burr, Sir


In this song, Aaron Burr, Sir, Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton meet each other for the first time, Hamilton is sent to be at Burr's service. According to the lyrics in the song, Hamilton aspires to be like Burr. He wants to graduate early and join the revolution, and asks Burr for advice on how he got to where he was. As the song progresses, Burr and Hamilton go to a tavern to enjoy a drink. Burr gives Hamilton some advice, he says, "Wanna get ahead? Fools who run their mouths off wind up dead." I did some research to learn more about the two characters, and found that both were orphans, but they came from different situations, and they both wanted to prevail during the time of the revolution. I'm wondering if when Burr told Hamilton to talk less and smile more, if he revealed a weakness that he has with other people? Does he not have a tolerance for younger men who don't know when to stop talking? I personally think that he did reveal a character flaw, and that Hamilton took advantage of that. I think that Hamilton took that little piece of information and pushed Burr, because Hamilton wanted to be in the position that Burr was in. This eluded to the dual in the end that left Hamilton dead, which put an end to the feud between the two, and was basically an "I told you so" from Burr to Hamilton, and I suppose anyone else who wanted to get in Aaron Burrs way. I also wonder if the two men coming from the same sort of background made Burr more inclined to give Hamilton advice? I think Burr felt like Hamilton needed some help in understanding how he should climbed to the top, but I don't think their background influenced Burr giving Hamilton advice. I also wonder though, that if Hamilton had taken Burrs advice and talked less and smiled more, would he have made the impact that he had? I think that there could've been a common middle ground and they could've worked together, instead, Hamilton became a hero and a victim, and Burr became a villain at the end. 

4 comments:

  1. I don't think that Burr became the villain in this story. Yes a lot of people seem him this way, but look at it from his point. Hamilton and Burr were friends. Burr tried to mentor Hamilton in many cases, he tried to help him succeed in many ways. But then instead of Burr getting ahead, Hamilton does. He gets the top spot, he becomes Washington's right hand man. They are still friends through all this then when Burr is running for president, instead of endorsing him, Hamilton says that Jefferson, Hamilton's enemy, would be better than Burr. Burr was probably extremely hurt. Then when they are dueling, he had no way of knowing Hamilton wasn't going to shoot, so he shot him first so his daughter wouldn't be an orphan, like his own self. He tried to do everything right, but ends up the villain in most stories, it's just unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it was good for Hamilton to keep talking and to not talk less and smile more because I think that's he was able to get to where he is. For Burr, I think actions spoke louder than words like when he shot Hamilton, that was his action and he didn't have to say anything but for Hamilton, it was the opposite, it was like he had to keep talking and keep the attention on him because his actions were not getting him as far as he would've like them to.

    ReplyDelete